One of the great privileges of growing up in the Northeastern United States is experiencing the changing of the seasons. Autumn in New York is beautiful. The leaves change color; the weather gets a little cooler and its pumpkin season! If your looking for something different to do this Fall.
1) Check out the vineyards; Spring is not the only time to head out east or upstate to do some wine tasting. In fact the fall can be an even better time to head out to the vineyards. Not only can you experience all the wineries on the North Fork or up in Hudson valley, but now its harvest season, mix up your wine tasting with a little apple picking or head over to a place like Briermere Farms and get a fresh homemade blueberry pie.)
2) If you’ve done the North fork to death then try heading up state to the Hudson Valley wine trail, the wineries up there have a bit more of a “homey” feel, less commercialized, and the trip up and back will be gorgeous if you time it right wit the foliage.)
3) Spook yourself; Long Island and NYC are home to some of the most horrifying haunted houses in the country. Whether your looking to have a truly frightening experience or just a little fun with the kids you can take your pick. Want the ultimate haunted house experience check out Blackout in NYC. Looking for a more authentic or traditional scare, Long Island has several famously haunted attractions, go visit The Amityville Horror house, or Katie’s in Smithtown, you will not be disappointed.)
4) Experience the season; If you want to really enjoy what is at the heart of Autumn in the northeast go and visit one of the many arboretums on Long Island. Some of the best are Old Westbury Garden, The Oakdale Arboretum and the cutting fields in Oyster bay.)
5) Participate in the celebrations; Due to the popularity of this season in this region there are tons of parades, festivals and celebrations that take place this time of year. Check out Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC, or The Rise of The Jack-o-lanterns at Old Westbury Gardens. Both of these events are ones that should not be missed.)